FACT – Businesses are being fined by HMRC for having inaccurate mileage records.
- HMRC are now carrying out telephone audits
- They aim to check mileage records of 60,000 SME’s by 2015
- They will call a business and ask for some mileage claims
- If more than 20% end in a zero they will carry out an on site inspection
- HMRC staff will discretely follow your drivers to validate their journeys
- Fines can be up to £18000 per driver
Here are some examples;
- A south of England-based pharmaceutical company initially fined £10 million for mileage record discrepancies associated with around 1,000 drivers. The company appealed and eventually agreed a settlement of about £1 million.
So as well as avoiding fines and ensuring HMRC compliance, Exevia makes any HMRC expenses audit an easy process.